Thursday, January 18, 2007

Comets look like little dots

Shelley and I took a field trip to the overpass where 12th crosses I-90, supposedly to see the comet at sunset. It turns out that clear nights in January are really cold. I would never have guessed.

Comets are neat to see. They're even neater to see if you're smart enough to carry a pair of binoculars. However, they're not that neat to photograph, even if you've got a telephoto lens with [a 35mm equivalent of] 700+ mm focal length. Zooming in on a dot still looks like a dot.

All was not lost. Against some vocal complaints about the frozen state of her keister, I made Shelley sit through me taking about 8 shots, each with an 8-second exposure. The above stitch is the end result (click on it to make it bigger).

[Update:]

I messed with the color balance, curves and cropping. The image you now see is the new one.

1 comment:

Maddi said...

Its a very pretty picture though!!!