Friday, May 18, 2007

A rebuttal

Well, now I feel compelled to point out the other side of Bike to Work day, if nothing else than to separate myself from my co-blogger's well-intentioned, but incomplete theories. On one hand he has a point, but I think he neglects a very important aspect that I witnessed many times this week. Biking to work in the scheme of the whole world can be very scary for some people; it's just too big a scale in their minds. Having May 18= Bike to Work Day gives people something to shoot for, puts in on their radar, and makes it less scary. Having one day designated specially gets the word out and gives people an opportunity to put their butt on the line by trying something new, in a semi-supportive environment. While it may not sway the non-believers, it will give those of us who are a little more timid that push we need.

Also, I heard complaining today from other regular cyclists. Yes, it can be slightly annoying to have more people on the road, riding slowly and taking up space. I think, though, that this has more to do with the fact that our transportation infrastructure isn't built for it. Don't blame the riders.

So there.

No comments: