Saturday, April 11, 2009

Key Lime Test

Here is the test pie for Hillary's wedding. There will be 5 each of 5 kinds: apple, strawberry rhubarb, blueberry, pecan and key lime. This is my first key lime pie and it was relatively easy. I checked out a number of recipes that were mostly the same, though the NYTimes adds cream of tartar to theirs. America's Test Kitchen doesn't and neither does pie expert Julia, so I figured that must be good enough. (I need to stop taking pictures in the kitchen and move where the light is better.)




ATK calls for regular limes rather than key limes- they say the taste difference is minimal. I read somewhere else that a little lemon juice can be added if it's not tart enough and so I did that. I'm not the biggest fan of graham cracker crust it turns out, but all in all it worked out ok. I probably could have whipped the cream for a touch longer but I was afraid I'd turn it into butter.


No comments: