Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dress Experiment



Normally I wouldn't feel so nervous about making a dress, but this one is for a wedding and for my friend Melissa who lives in NYC. Fittings might be an issue. So I came up with this idea- to use this tutorial from threads to make a dressmakers dummy out of duct tape. Or rather, to have Melissa make it and send it to me. I realized in conversation with someone last week that the variable a duct tape dummy doesn't tell me is how deep/wide it should actually be. Right now my most ingenious idea is to stuff it with bubble wrap, but I heard about some spray in foam that hardens that might work better if I can find it. Anyway, here it is up and together, though I can't start on it until I get more cast off bubble wrap.

Here's the pattern from Vogue. If I can figure out how, it will have a higher back and no train.


No comments: